Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in identifying 120y/o wood

Posted by iamsblack (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 22:02

I'm resurrecting a building which dates back to the late 1800s. There is a lot of beautiful wood that we have to carefully remove and de-nail. There appear to be two main species used at first glance. One, I'm almost sure is red oak but I'm not sure what the other one is. I suspect some type of pine. I'll call them a hardwood and a softwood. Most of the hardwood is rough cut to 1-7/8" x 9-1/2" or thereabouts. The majority of the softwood is 2" x 5-1/.2" When sawmarks are visible they are radial and some string and math tell us the blade was 4-5' in diameter. I've included some nails in one photo to show the vintage of the original fasteners. The building is in Southwestern Ontario.

I did some calcs on some dry samples and the densities check in at 41 lb/cuft and 24 lb/cuft

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in identifying 120y/o wood

Not sure if I can attach two photos to one post but I couldn't see how. Here's the hardwood. I forgot to mention that the thing that puzzles me with the softwood are the pink and yellow hues that I see in several pieces.

Both these pictures were a combination of several view of the same piece of wood if it wasn't evident.

Thanks!

o

Hi,
I would say you are right on the money. The softwood is very hard to pinpoint a variety with photos. The density you found is in line with eastern white pine. The oak looks like red oak. Bear in mind, if your objective is to match them with material available today, it's a challenge, as both woods were slow-grown in a forest; the farmed stuff you get today, even were it a scion of the original, it will have grown under very different conditions.
Casey

o

Thanks for the reply. The pine is really gorgeous in person and the rusty nail holes give it a ton of character. I was doing some reading on densities and did a double-check on all my calculations. I screwed up on the hardwood somehow. It's 51.4 lb/cuft. The softwood was accurate at 24.3

o

the softer wood could be Fir as well.

o

Can't be fir with that density. Fir far denser.
Casey

o

In that time, the framing was usually local, so you can look at what is or was harvested locally and eliminate imports. Eastern White pine (which is itself several botanically distinct species) is a good guess.

Trim was often shipped in from "elsewhere".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here