Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing a nail gun

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 21:52

Is there a recommended nail gun under 100.00 for around the house projects? An electric one, not one requiring a compressor. THank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing a nail gun

"Around the house projects" is pretty vague. Nail guns (both electric and pneumatic) only shoot the particular type of nails they're designed for. One gun is used for framing nails, another for roofing nails, another for finish nails, another for brads, etc. I don't own any electric nailers, but a quick survey of Amazon's offerings suggests that they can only handle 18 gauge (very thin) brads, up to 1 1/4" long. If that's big enough for the projects you have in mind, you might look at the one I linked to; it's well-reviewed for the price. If you need to drive bigger nails, I think you're stuck with pneumatic (or a hammer).

Here is a link that might be useful: Surebonder 5950

o

Short answer is no.

I tried several electric nailers early on in my tool buying stage. There are electric nailers that do work, but they start at over $300. The nailers I tried---much like the one jon mentioned would not nail soft pine trim on plywood edges reliably.

There are kits available that include a couple different sized nailers---16 guage and 18 guage---the portable compressor with hose, oil, some nails and even Teflon tape to use for connecting the quick release adapters to the hose and nailers. Many of those kits can be found for $200-$300 and will handle any DIY job around the house except deck building or framing.

o

I think you need to define your requirements and potential projects. The most versatile nailer under $100 would be a hammer. Just what is it that you expect to get out of a gun? Do not think that you MUST HAVE one just because the bearded guy on Saturday morning TV can't function without one.

If you really just want one and want out cheap, a small (<$100) compressor will power about any nail gun that you're not using continuously. Add to that a cheap Harbor Freight gun. But I'd really think twice about a hammer. I built furniture, did homeowner carpentry and home maintenance for 20+ years before I got my first nail gun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here