Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
semi-gloss water-based poly for hardwoods. How shiny?

Posted by buffswife (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:30

Hi
I have been told by my flooring person that the water based poly by bona is the same shine as the oil based poly which is generally called "satin". Would love everyone's input. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: semi-gloss water-based poly for hardwoods. How shiny?

I have an idea. Why don't you ask your flooring person to apply some to a piece of flooring so you can judge for yourself? If he balks get you a new floor person.

o
RE: semi-gloss water-based poly for hardwoods. How shiny?

Check the manufacturer's product data sheet (or call their help line to ask.) Sheen is measured on a 0-100 scale. Below 5 is usually considered dead flat, and 85+ full gloss (glosses higher than that need buffing). There is no uniform definition of "semi-gloss" or "satin" either between brands or between different products of the same brand. Even then, there are manufacturing variances and you will normally get a number range, something 45-50 sheen for a specific product.

For example, Bona's Traffic Anti-Slip Satin has as spec:
Satin sheen of 25 at 60° ( 60° being the viewing angle (angle of incidence))

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here