Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to repair table top?

Posted by tombob (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 21:23

We have an oval oak dining room table with one leaf in the center. The veneer (I am sure it is veneer and not solid wood) where the leaf adjoins the rest of the table has raised slightly in places, looking like the veneer is bubbled up, due to, I guess, moisture from spilled fluids from the kids, heat from hot dishes etc.

I would like to correct this, but am fearful of sanding veneer and sanding right through it. I have removed the leaf and tried looking at the sides of the leaf attempting to see if the veneer--IF it is indeed veneer--has separated from the underlying wood but it seems solid.

The overall finish and look of the table is excellent and I hate to get rid of it. Any ideas for getting rid of these raised places?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to repair table top?

IF it is actually a veneer, put a damp towel over the area and iron it with a warm iron. What we are trying to do here is-assuming it IS veneer- is revitalize the adhesive under the VERY thin veneer.
It is possible the finish might discolor a bit but you can deal with that.
Please report back.

o
RE: How to repair table top?

I use liquid hide glue (available in a bottle -- be sure to get a fresh one from the mfg. date). I buy syringes at my pharmacy and inject the glue underneath the bubbles. Smear a little vaseline over the spot, get some waxed paper, and clamp down a wooden caul over the spot overnight. It should suck your veneer back down and hold it for good.

Ironing with a damp cloth is likely to damage the finish. Even though it might be repairable, it's not necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here