Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amt782

Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?

amt782
12 years ago

I have read many of the inspirational posts in the kitchen forum of gel stains being used for cabinets with great results. My question is are they a durable enough finish (with gel topcoat) to handle the traffic on stair treads? I am considering going with the General Finishes Java Gel Stain. My goal is to go almost black so it appears black from a distance but still has some grain visible up close. To those with experience with General Finishes, will Java give me a dark enough color or do I need to go with a dark stain underneath the gel stain?

From Stairs

From Stairs

Comments (8)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Gel stain on bare wood will be the same permanence as a liquid stain. If over a previous finish, it will wear off if the finish coat wears off. So use a tough finish coat, like a floor varnish.
    If oil-based varnish is used, either make real sure the gel stain is fully cured, or use a separator coat of shellac sealer to prevent the varnish's solvent from disturbing the stain.
    Casey

• ThornhillLouis
    12 years ago

I also want to know about the same relevant topic and I agree with idea of sombreuil_mongrel.. Thanks for sharing.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Any pigment stain is sitting ON the wood, and will wear if the protective coat wears away exposing the stain.

Dye could fare a little better, but depending on the type of wood the penetration can be very slight.

Any coloring is going to rely on the clear coat on top for wear protection.

• EdeLa
    11 years ago

Hi bus_driver
    May I ask what brand of urethane you used on your stairs?

I have a set of fir stairs in my home that I am currently sanding down to finish...haven't decided what I am going to finish them with however! I will not be using a stain/color on them as I like the natural beauty/color of the fir. Simply need something to 'clear coat' them with for protection and was wondering what product you used...and why you wish you would have done a few extra coats.
    Cheers

• bisondaktelcom
    9 years ago

I have a steps finished with a honey oak color and four coats of polyurethane. I would like to darken the color. Is there a way to do this without removing the old finish?

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

i'd go with ebony. the more applications the darker it gets with out going totally black. it's a dark, dark warm gray. and it's a standard color in the world of stains. as far as the clear coat goes, you need a floor varnish. personally i'd use a marine varnish despite it's price. if it doesn't hold up, then stop walking around in cleats:-)

• bisondaktelcom
    9 years ago

Seven years ago, we finished our oak stairs with 3 coats of polyurethane. They look great yet.