Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ok to switch types of poly? (brush to wipe?)

Posted by sheesharee (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 20:58

I'm still working on the dresser I asked about a few weeks ago.

I applied the first coat of Minwax oil based poly in a satin a finish today. There are a couple areas where I either overlapped after it started to dry or didn't apply enough in those spots. I did use a good quality brush and tried to apply a thin coat.

I'm concerned when it comes time for the final coat (after sanding inbetween and all that) that I won't be able to get the finish even. Can I apply Minwax wipe on poly over the existing poly? I'd use the same 'satin' finish. I wish now I would've just bought the wipe on but I already had a can here so I figured I'd make it work.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ok to switch types of poly? (brush to wipe?)

It will take 2 - 3 coats to build up an even finish. Only thing you want to worry about is drips and runs. TheMiniwax poly is fairly self leveling so you should not see many streaks. You can also use a foam brush to apply.

o

"Can I apply Minwax wipe on poly over the existing poly? "

Or just thin out the original with the recommended solvent for clean up.

That is all 'wiping' poly really is.

o

I'm happy to say the second coat turned out well. I think those areas I was seeing that looked different, I actually didn't get enough poly in those spots.

It's going well so far!

I did think about thining out the existing but it sounded messy. Good to know that about the wiping poly.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here