Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking apart cabinet doors

Posted by shasta_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 20:52

I have raised panel cupboard doors & would like to make some stained glass doors, is there any way to disassemble a cupboard door without damaging it?
I need to remove the inner panel.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking apart cabinet doors

You won't be able to didassemble it, but you can use a router to cut away the wood from the back of the door that retains the panel. Set the depth of the router to just touch the back of the panel and cut in about 1/2" just enough to expose the edge of the panel. This will leave a rabbet to inset the glass. you then add a retainer strip of wood or plastic to hold the glass in.

o

Thanks furnone. Would it be possible to use a roto zip saw instead? -I think that's what it's called!

o

Yeah, you can use a rotozip. It is just basically a baby router.

If your machine has a guide attachment it will help you out.

o

Thanks for the great instructions! I need to replace a broken panel and this will be the perfect way to do it!

o

You need the router attachment to use a Roto-Gyp for that job. A better idea is to take the doors to a cabinet shop or experienced woodworker and have them do it. Ruining a door might wind up being much more expensive.

o

A roto zip is too crude of an instrumant to suffice as a router.

If you like inhaling gypsum dust, you MIGHT find it useful for cutting drywall. By the time you do enough drywall to master the tool, you'll have lung disease.

I give 2 big thumbs down to the roto zip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here