Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stained wood cabinetry question

Posted by anon_girl (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 20:48

I have hand made, pine, stained wood kitchen cabinets. They aren't exactly my style, but they are all hardwood, and someone spent time building them, so I don't feel right ripping them out. They are though, old and dirty. I'm not sure how to clean them. They are stained, but not sealed. They are shaker style and I noticed lots of grime in the corners, finger marks and a bit of fading in areas that are high use. Can I use TSP on them or will that ruin them? Also, can I paint over the stain? If I wanted to restain them but stain them black is there anything I need to do? Thanks so much for any help. I don't want to ruin the cabinets, as they are so well made.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stained wood cabinetry question

There is some kind of finish or the wood would be grey or warped, or much worse looking. That precludes staining, unless you use a gel stain---which is more paint than stain. That means it is not a good stain nor a good paint.

Rather than using TSP---which no longer has phosphates(EPA), try a good liquid dish soap solution and a rag. Not wet, just damp.

Let dry 24 hours, prime with BIN(by Zinsser) and paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here