Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carving knife

Posted by john_al (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 20:21

I've seen on tv people carving with some type of knife that's hinged to a bench on one end, and the other end is held in the user's hand. The workpiece is supported on the bench and carved thusly.

Does anyone know what these knives are called? Where you might buy one? I'd do a search, but have no idea what to search for.

Thanks,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carving knife

I suspect that what you are seeing is a chef skilled in the use of a chef's knife.
Does the video below show what you are talking about?
Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: knife skills

o

If I understand correctly, you are carving wood, not roast beef or carrots. I think these are called "block knives." The ones I have seen have a hook on one end that's inserted into an eye, and a handle on the other end. This creates a second-class lever and allows a lot of pressure at the cutting edge.

They were quite often used by wooden shoe makers.

I don't know that I've ever seen a new one for sale. I think you are going to either have to haunt tool auctions or web sites, or find a good blacksmith to make one for you.

o

Linda, that's my mistake. I meant woodcarving knife, although I will watch the video, since I love to carve meat, especially when I think I'll get to eat some of it. My apologies, and thank you.

Bobsmyuncle, you read my mind. That's exactly what I was referring to. At least now I can start a web search for "block knives". I'm carving, or rather trying to, wooden bowls. Thank you.

If anyone has any information on this, please respond.

John

o

Hi,

I'm normally over on furniture, but saw this. Owl Lumber in Des Plaines, IL, sells block blanks for making wood bowls. They may know something about what you're looking for.

o

I'll check it out.

Thanks, John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here