Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_al_gw

carving knife

john_al
16 years ago

I've seen on tv people carving with some type of knife that's hinged to a bench on one end, and the other end is held in the user's hand. The workpiece is supported on the bench and carved thusly.

Does anyone know what these knives are called? Where you might buy one? I'd do a search, but have no idea what to search for.

Thanks,

John

Comments (5)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I suspect that what you are seeing is a chef skilled in the use of a chef's knife.
    Does the video below show what you are talking about?
    Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: knife skills

• bobismyuncle
    16 years ago

If I understand correctly, you are carving wood, not roast beef or carrots. I think these are called "block knives." The ones I have seen have a hook on one end that's inserted into an eye, and a handle on the other end. This creates a second-class lever and allows a lot of pressure at the cutting edge.

They were quite often used by wooden shoe makers.

I don't know that I've ever seen a new one for sale. I think you are going to either have to haunt tool auctions or web sites, or find a good blacksmith to make one for you.

• john_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, that's my mistake. I meant woodcarving knife, although I will watch the video, since I love to carve meat, especially when I think I'll get to eat some of it. My apologies, and thank you.

Bobsmyuncle, you read my mind. That's exactly what I was referring to. At least now I can start a web search for "block knives". I'm carving, or rather trying to, wooden bowls. Thank you.

If anyone has any information on this, please respond.

John

• mogator88
    15 years ago

Hi,

I'm normally over on furniture, but saw this. Owl Lumber in Des Plaines, IL, sells block blanks for making wood bowls. They may know something about what you're looking for.

• john_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll check it out.

Thanks, John

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus