Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzan30

help refinishing a front door

suzan30
13 years ago

I'd like to spruce up my weathered front door. It is solid oak, slab style. Can I work on it while it is hung? It is very heavy, and I don't think I can get it up and down. Should I sand it or use a stripper? And what kind of varnish should I use? I don't want to stain it, just seal it.

Comments (2)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The door has to determine what it needs. How far you have to go depends on what finish you want to end up with, and how deteriorated the wood has become. To attain a perfect new-looking varnish, you would need to sand down until all greyed weathering is gone, and all surface checking is eliminated. OTOH, if you'd be happy with a mid- to dark stain job, then the weathering becomes less of an issue because the stain will cover a lot of the damage. To simply paint would be yet less prep work.
    We don't know how bad the wood is without a picture.
    Casey

• millworkman
    12 years ago

First off you will need to take it down it will be dam near immpossible to refinish it while it is hung in the frame. As far as stripper that would deped on how bad the finish is and what your looking to accomplish with the new finish. I would suggest going to a quality paint store ans speaking with them as far as products to use.