Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does water base poly look close to cabinet finish?

Posted by poorowner (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 19:26

I am trying to match the sheen of kitchen cabinets.
Poly is not quite it, too thick and yellow does not look like the conversion varnish that was put on the doors.

I am thinking to try the waterbased poly in satin, since it goes on clear. It's for crown molding job so there isn't any contact or wear and doesn't really need a heavy duty finish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does water base poly look close to cabinet finish?

Generally, no. The consumer-grade waterbased poly that I've used (Minwax) had a distinctly bluish cast that I found unpleasant.

Lacquer might be a better choice.

o

Try Deft waterbased finish. Several coats. The gloss is clear and the semigloss is milky but will be clear when it dries. Easy to apply.

o

I used Varathane's Diamond Water-Based Polyurethane on some laundryroom cabinet interiors I built with great success against marring, scratching and laundry soap damage. Nice clarity on the maple too with no bluing in the finish.

o

I'd avoid poly. In the same situation, I found that the best match (in gloss as well as texture) to commercial conversion varnish was Mohawk's spray tone finish clear lacquer.

Here is a link that might be useful: spray lacquer

o

Hey, poorowner, I dug up a pic for you. We used recycled cabinets for my kitchen remodel and made a bunch of extra panels, shelves, feet, etc that I had to stain and finish to match. I used aniline dyes and the Mohawk satin finish spray lacquer linked above, and nobody has ever guessed which wood is original and which is new:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here