Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oruboris

Using exterior products indoors: any reason why not?

oruboris
16 years ago

I have a v-groove pine in my living room, pine beadboard in the kitchen and dining. I like the way it looks now, but I'm dreading the day it turns amber. Plus, I feel it needs a finish that will keep the dust and smoke from penetrating, something scrubable, but not paint.

I know pine usually gets a seal coat before finishing since it can take stain very un-evenly. I plan to skip that part: I'd be pleased if there were noticable color differences from one board to the next. It will draw attention to the fact that this is actual wood, and the house is sort of rustic anyway [as you've probably already guessed].

What I've been considering is a Cabbot brand semi-transparent or semi-solid with just a little tint, plus a bit of opaque white in it to mask color changes down the road. I'd spray it on with a commercial sprayer, then wipe it or brush it back just a bit so more of the wood grain and color shows through.

Seems to me that would give me a very durable finish [rated for outdoors, after all] that would still go on a lot faster than multiple coats of poly or shellac or hand rubbed interior stains.

Since I have the same v-groove on the ceilings of the adjoining porchs, it would keep things uniform. Probably wouldn't wipe it back outdoors.

I figure I'd have to be very careful about ventilation, probably need a respirator while applying. Then the house would have a couple of weeks to air out before anyone was in there full time. Would there be a lot of residual odor, would there be a potential for ongoing outgassing?

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Comments (2)