Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood stain on frosted glass

Posted by elginagent (gary@windycityburbs.com) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 18:35

Hi all,
Not sure if this fits into this forum but I'll give it a shot. I stained our pantry door which is frosted glass. You know, the kind that says "PANTRY" on it with a design. Well, try as I might to tape things off before staining, some wood stain got on the frosted part and now I'm afraid to use anything to get it cleaned off for fear of making a bad problem worse. Any ideas?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood stain on frosted glass

I'd remove the glass from the door and clean it with an appropriate solvent.

o

Thanks jon1270. I tried using mineral spirits on a small area of the frosted part and it left the glass kind of smeared looking. I was afraid to go any further without some professional help. Is frosted glass as impervious to chemicals like unfrosted glass? Can you use a razor blade to remove tape residue or paint overspray etc?
Thanks in advance.

o

Not all frosted glass is the same. Some is sand blasted or acid etched. This type can be cleaned with MEK, Lacquer thiner, Acetone, etc. followed by any window cleaner without any damage. The other type of frosting is sprayed on. A translucent white paint. Cleaning this type with solvents will remove it.

Mineral spirits will not work after the stain is dry. You will need one of the stronger solvents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here