Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Name for type of handle?

Posted by breenthumb (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 17:51

I have a small wooden trunk with handles that lift to carry then drop back down against the backplate. The handles and backplate are all one piece. Does anyone know what this type of handle is called? Pretty sure I've seen them on older furniture too. I'd like to buy another one but have no idea what to search for. TIA, Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Name for type of handle?

Sounds like "flush" or "inset" handles...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Tools

RE: Name for type of handle?

Trunk lifting handle at Van Dyke Restorers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Dyke Restorers

RE: Name for type of handle?

Yes! Those recessed (inset) handles at Lee Valley are exactly what I've been looking for. You can only imagine the vacant stares I got at HD & hardware stores asking about them.

And the VanDyke Restorers site will be useful when I fix up the really old trunks.

Thank you both for responding so quickly. Sandy

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here