Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screwing into drywall - no studs

Posted by dgbeig (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 17:33

I guess my question is similar to jcorban.

I just bought a couple shelves that I would like to put up on a side kitchen wall.

We went to screw them in and they went into nothing...nothing to catch behind it.
We looked for studs and found them in places that wouldn't work for the position of the shelf.
(we also tried a small nail in one just to see what was there and the nail went through too...!?)

Then we tried using those drywall plastic things, that aare supposed to open like a flower and stop the screw from coming out...that didn't work either. Either went straight through the wall or didn't open up...etc.

Nothing holds.
What can I do to hang a shelf there? Anything?
What could I use?
Any help is so appreciated...I've never run into this before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screwing into drywall - no studs

dgbeig: What size are the shelves? What weight or objects do you wish to place on the shelves? How far away are the studs from where you wish to place the shelves? What else is on that wall?

o

Moly bolts are about the strongest of the attachment methods for drywall. They are all metal and exapnd in four directions to get maximum load area. In drywall they are usually pretty easy to expand (the little teeth grip well enough if good pressure is applied to the screwdriver).

o

There is a drywall anchor, I'm not sure of the brand name, that is augered into the wallboard and subsequently holds a screw that is rated up to 40 lbs. I find they work better than spring toggles or mollys for most applications.

o

IMO If you intend for this shelf to hold substantial weight, it must be supported by studs. If its going to hold very lite items, ornamental, pictures molly's should work, although it does depend on the strength of the drywall.
Could you put a strip (1x2)at the hight of the shelf, attach it to the studs that are there and then attach the shelf to the 1x2?

o

You should find studs at 16 inch spacing. After California's Northridge Earthquake, it was re-enforced to locate studs, and screw a "cleat" onto them, then place the shelve on the cleat and glue and screw it together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here