Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Library with stained poplar walls & ceiling, but stained maple...

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 16:28

the walls and ceiling of our paneled library are set to be stained poplar (in budget), but the cabinetmaker who is creating the bookshelves on one wall does not use poplar and will be using stained maple. How will these two woods accept the same stain differently? Will this look terrible? We want a cohesive look for this room. Any ideas? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Library with stained poplar walls & ceiling, but stained mapl

Poplar takes a dark stain well. It can be made to look like cherry. Maple is a little tricky to get an even appearance of a dark penetrating stain. I think it's a long shot for the poplar and maple to come out looking even. Birch and poplar may be closer match for a dark stain. Can your cabinetmaker do Birch instead of Maple?

I think the best approach is to start with the actual stain, and some samples of the various woods. Choose the one that looks closest to the stained Poplar.

o

You are going to have two different colors, unless you use some kind of involved(and expensive) recipe for the two woods.

The way to determine what can be done that you can accept is to have scraps of both woods stained with the same stain. Then experiment with tints, toners, dyes, and finishes to get the final colors.

I often use strips of scraps about 12 to 18 inches long, doing three color recipes on each stick.

The other gotcha is that with as much wood as will be used in that room, there will be color differences between pieces of the same species.

o

poplar and maple are two distinctively different woods. Poplar will have green to brown tones, and Maple is brownish. If you get the maple heartwood which has dark brown coloring the two could work, but will require alot of work to match. They do make a special stain for poplar wood which evens it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here