Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gel stain finish durability

Posted by hpny2 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 16:22

I am still on the fence as to whether I should paint or gel stain my honey oak bath cabinets. Can someone tell me how durable the gel stain finish would be? I know that when applied over a previously finished surface (as opposed to unfinished wood) it will not sink in, but rather sit on top. To me, that would mean it could possibly scratch off fairly easily, even with a clear coat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gel stain finish durability

Gel stain, or any stain for that matter, is not a "Finish" (despite what the can says.) They have a small amount of binder -- oil, varnish, lacquer, or whatever. When used between coats of finish they are functioning as a glaze and must be top coated. How well the top coat sticks is a function of what finish is on now, what you are applying, how long you let the glaze dry and how thickly you applied the stain (remember it has few binders so thick coats can be problematic.)

o
RE: gel stain finish durability

I view gel stain like shoe polish, it does not penetrate that much, and sits on the surface. When I apply it I just buff it on with a cotton cloth. Then topcoat with a compatible clear coat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here