Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jvmagic_gw

window trimming/moulding

jvmagic
16 years ago

Hi,

I would like to add a window header like the one in this photo. how can I go about this? does anyone have a step by step process or a web page to point me to?

thanks,

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s54/jvmagic/window_trim.jpg

Comments (7)

• theporchguy
    16 years ago

jvmagic,

If I understand correctly, you want to add a window header as shown in the photo? If this is correct, we first need to know what kind of interior wood casing you have now. You see, this design requires that the window casings be of 1x all around. If you don't have 1x, you'll probably have to re-woodwork the entire opening.
    Please provide some more information so I can help.

All the best, The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

• jvmagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do plan on doing the complete casing...in fact i have done it before with woodwork inside and finishing it up like a door. I just really like the header on the photo and would like to know if it just crown molding on top of if there is a better way of finishing it (the lease expensive would be best).
    I have seen some premade headers which is kind of costly so I don't want to go that route.

thanks again

• theporchguy
    16 years ago

Yes it is a small crown molding with 45's on each end returning to the wall. Additionally there is another piece that is placed just above the legs and below the top horizontal piece lays over that. It sticks out about 1/2 to 3/4. Thats complete.

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

• marjen
    16 years ago

I did this around most of the window/doors in my house. I used 1x4 around the the sides and bottom. 45 degree angles where they meet on the bottom. On the top i used 1x6 for the main piece. Then over that at the top of the 1x6 goes the crown piece with returns on the sides. On thje bottom of the 1x6 I used 1/2 round moulding with returns on the sides as well. Not real difficult to do, just a little time consuming with all the parts for the top, looks GREAT when done though!

• jvmagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

marjen,

thanks for the info. could I bother you to email me some photos at jvaldez_32@hotmail.com

I would greatly appreciate that.

thanks again,

• marjen
    16 years ago

Yeah let me see if i can get some together.

• jvmagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

marjen,

thanks for the info. could I bother you to email me some photos at jvaldez_32@hotmail.com

I would greatly appreciate that.

thanks again,