Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coped joints for baseboard

Posted by macvirtualasst (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 15:06

Hi All,

We are doing our baseboard trim soon. Is a coped joint where the two pieces of moulding meet necessary or can we just do miter cuts? We are having a hard time understanding why you can just join the two pieces together with a miter cut... Coping is new to us :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coped joints for baseboard

"We are having a hard time understanding why you can just join the two pieces together with a miter cut."

The odds of the two walls being exactly 90 degrees are between small and zero (even the drywall mud used changes the angle.

Coping greatly reduces the visibility of the small errors in the corner angle.

Install one side butted into the joint, miter the other piece, then cut away all the cross grain wood left on the miter.

It is not coped.

o
reRE: Coped joints for baseboard

It is now coped.

o

I've installed miles of trim. Started out mitering, finding the angle of each corner, halving that figure, making the cuts and then tweaking each cut(sometimes using playing cards as shims on the miter saw) to get a tight joint.

Then see that joint open up with weather changes---humidity changes/etc.

I then learned to cope.

It seems slower, but is actually faster than tweaking a miter. And, the really good part is a coped joint does not expand/contract with weather nearly as much. Most times there is no noticeable movement.

The only miter joints I make now are outside miters---coped for inside.

o

Thank you all and I am so sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I appreciate your input very much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here