Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glueing and Finishing Ipe

Posted by bob_cville (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 14:50

I'm planning on using some leftover pieces of Ipe to make a simple wall-mounted vanity for a powder room I'm adding to my house. Here's a concept image:

I was thinking about having it made from a scrap of granite so I've built a template of OSB to get the size exact. But now that I'm thinking that wood would be easier, cheaper, and better looking, and able to be done by me. I plan to use the OSB template as a substrate beneath the Ipe, and glue up the Ipe pieces edge to edge and then attach them to the substrate.

My questions are: What should I use to glue the boards together edge to edge? Once its together, what should I use to finish it given that its a bathroom, and it will get a little wet at times?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glueing and Finishing Ipe

The finish is the least of your problems -- you can't do what you're thinking of doing if you want it to hold together. Laminating a layer of solid wood, which expands and contracts with changes in moisture content, to an engineered substrate, which is dimensionally stable, is a recipe for buckling and delamination. You could use veneer, typically 1/16" or less thick, but OSB is a lousy veneer substrate. A wooden construction that looks like this is possible, but I doubt it will be so easy and cheap as you imagine.

o
RE: Glueing and Finishing Ipe

Bob, as long as you are attaching the Ipe to the OSB with a few screws only, I don't see where this would be a problem. Jon is right that trying to laminate the two could cause problems.

However, I really don't see the benefit of using the OSB as a substrate in the first place. Since this top will only be seen from above, I would use pocket screws on the underside to reinforce the edge-glue-up of the boards. Additionally, I would be sure to wipe down the ipe with acetone before gluing up the panel, and I would use epoxy for the glue-up since this will be in a wet area. This should give you plenty of strength to the joint, so as long as the ipe is strong enough for the application, there is little need for a substrate. If you do need a substrate, I would go with 3/4 CDX ply instead of OSB, just because OSB is not good in a wet environment.

For a finish, I would probably use either a two part epoxy for its water-repelling properties or Behlen's Rockhard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here