Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing polyurethane spots from veneer

Posted by juliap574 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 14:41

I have a dining room table I purchased from a major retail store. It is a dark wood table with a thin veneer on top. After several months the stain began to chip so I covered the chips with a stain marker. I wanted to seal it and my hardware store salesperson told me to spray polyurethane. I test the nozzle outside and it seemed to work fine (even) but when I sprayed it on the tables it was splotchy. Now my table has very noticeable dots of polyurethane all over it. What is the best, if any at all, way to removed the dots or minimize them? I saw 0000 steel wool cloths.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing polyurethane spots from veneer

"What is the best, if any at all, way to removed the dots or minimize them?"

Apply another coat of finish more uniformly.

o
RE: removing polyurethane spots from veneer

[Sigh]
> my hardware store salesperson told me to spray polyurethane.

Probably not the most brilliant idea.

Not seeing it, I'd probably recommend scraping off the spots. If you don't have a finely tuned cabinet scraper, get some utility knife blades, dull the corners and hold them between your thumbs and index fingers. Tilt the blade about 10 degrees from vertical away from you and push lightly with your thumbs. You might need to adjust the angle a bit forward or backward to get a good cut.

Then using a sanding block and 400 grit sandpaper, lightly dull the whole surface. Wipe off the sanding dust with a cloth dampened in mineral spirits. Wipe on another THIN coat of polyurethane, either a canned "wipe on poly" or regular poly thinned 50-50 with mineral spirits. Use a lint-free cloth or a blue shop towel. Did I say THIN coat?

A better choice would have been to apply lacquer, as that's almost certainly what's on there now. It will bond to itself creating "one coat" of finish. But since you've applied the spray poly already, it's too late for that as the lacquer will be too "hot" for the poly and can blister it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here