Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And staining again.

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 14:10

Hi all!

I'm still paralyzed about staining my maple butcher block. I've got it beautifully sanded and the edge routed. I don't want to mess it up.

I went to a place yesterday in Rockville, MD, called Industrial Finishes. OMG. Talk about too many choices!! I did end up buying a medium brown stain that looked beautiful on the maple sample.

Then I started reading again. Gotta quit doing that. Anyway, I realize maple is tough to stain, so I want to know about this "sealant" that should go on it first? What is it, how long. (I've read 24 hours). How to apply? Rag? Brush?

Then.... my horrified question about wood filler.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And staining again.

There are a couple of books on coloring wood that are excellent.

Flexnor's book on Wood Finishing is like a bible.

woodNet has a finishing forum and several really experienced folks there.

o
RE: And staining again.

I've got the link to that from something you posted elsewhere.
I'll check out WoodNet, too.

Just afraid to screw it up. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here