Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veneer - Pressed Wood desk

Posted by katefisher (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 13:57

I hope my question is appropriate to this forum.

Last weekend my neighbor gave us a slightly older rolltop style desk that upon closer inspection is made of veneer. From across the street it looked like wood:)

Anyway if we can't do something to fix the damaged surface I will take it to the thrift store. But can it be painted or improved somehow? I'm guessing that something made of this material cannot be refinished per se.

Thank you.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veneer - Pressed Wood desk

Kate, you haven't described the damage. What, as precisely as possible, is wrong with this piece?

o

... and you haven't described the "veneer" If it's wood veneer, it's not a problem. If it's a plastic veneer, you have less chance.

o

I believe there was most often some veneer on "older" roll top desks.
How about a picture?
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here