Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elyash

restoring teak deck furniture

elyash
11 years ago

About 8 years ago, I purchased gorgeous and expensive teak table and chairs for my deck. I did not use any protective coats on the teak. Over time, it has taken on a very ugly grey, worn weathered and battered look. Is there any way to restore this furniture to its natural beauty? If not, is there any way to at least improve its looks?

Comments (8)

• User
    11 years ago

I have never seen any information about how to restore natural color to grayed teak---or pine, cedar, or cypress.

In fact, many people use those woods specifically because they do gray naturally.

• User
    11 years ago

I asked several mof the finishing guys on WoodNet about the situation.

Best thing to try is using a deck cleaner that contains oxyalic acid.

The other idea was sanding the old surface off----meaning dissassembling each piece and possibly not working even then.

None of the 20 or so folks who replied have ever tried that job----considering it useless or having protected their projects so the graying did not occur.

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

Scrub cross grain with sudsy ammonia then rinse well. Let dry and coat with teak oil

• User
    11 years ago

Below is a link to a product that advertises it will clean teak wood. The person who found this product does not know if it will work in your situation.

Also, it would be nice if the avidchef would indicate they have seen the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teak cleaner

• elyash
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your research on my behalf. I got busy hunting for granite and researching appliances for my kitchen update and forgot to check back onto this forum. Now that it has stopped raining here, I am ready to start the furniture and will order the teak cleaner. It looks very promising. The instructions say you need to oil after cleaning the furniture. What oil do you recommend? Again, I appreciate everyones responses.

• elyash
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to let you know I used Handymac's suggested teak cleaner yesterday for the first time. It works very well. We completed the first chair and it looks terrific. Thanks.

• inlikeflint
    11 years ago

To clean Teak, all you should need is water and a medium bristle brush.

Using the garden hose, spray down your teak furniture. Scrub the furniture with a brush moving in the direction of the woodgrain. Rinse and let dry.

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

Inlikeflint, you should scrub across grain on teak so that you do not raise the grain. Sudsy ammonia is best cleaner followed with teak oil.