Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3-Side Wood Box to cover glue lamb, Anyone done this?

Posted by remodelzombie (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 13:21

Also posted this in Remodeling.

I want to cover an ugly, exposed 16 foot glue lamb with a stained rustic Knotty Alder. I'm looking at the pre-fab boxes and this stuff is expensive!
Has anyone bought prefab wood boxes? If so, please share best places to purchase on the west coast.

Or maybe it would be less expensive for my contractor to have one built and put it up.

Comments are welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3-Side Wood Box to cover glue lamb, Anyone done this?

This is real easy finish work. Have the contractor build the box and install it.

o

I am not sure what a glue lamb is but I think you are referring to engineered wood, GluLam? Thisyou want to cover it with a faux beam? Being in the mid-west, I don't see a lot of alder, but I do know it can be prone to blotching. Make sure you or your contractor runs some sample boards with your intended stain color and finish before committing to the project. You might want to stay away from Minwax pigmented stains.

o

Thx. I'm looking at Sherwin Williams furniture grade stains and will definitely test it first!

o

A simple coat of one pound cut blond shellac before staining will do wonders for preventing blotching on most woods.

Just as an aside---SW owns MinWax.:-)

o

This is true, but they seem to be at arm's length as far as finish chemists and product development.

Compare a can of Golden Oak stain from each and you will see not much similarity.

>> Just as an aside---SW owns MinWax.:-)

o

Thanks for the info Mac and Uncle!

I'm having a pro painting company do the staining, but I'd like to understand this. "one pound cut blond shellac before staining"...what does that mean? I may try to do a couple of small items myself so this might be useful info.

o

Shellac is a solid that's dissolved in alcohol. A one-pound cut means one pound of solid shellac flakes dissolved in a gallon of alcohol. The canned shellac you're likely to find at a hardware store is a stronger solution - probably a three pound cut, or 3 pounds of solid shellac per gallon of alcohol. To make a one-pound cut, mix one part canned shellac with 2 parts solvent alcohol.

o

thanks for the explanation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here