Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building a wood gate

Posted by hogan_nj (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 12:48

I installed a fence about 2 years ago. I did not lay out the gate properly,I made the opening too small for the standard size gate I purchased. The wood expanded and bowed the gate so bad it needs to be replaced with a custom made gate.

Since I am going to paint it right away I wood rather not use pressure treated wood. I would like to go with pine because its cheaper and money is an issue right now since I am out of work. Basically my question is about pine and douglas fir, which one would be a better option. I have a feeling you might say neither,go with cedar but since I want to paint it why waste money on cedar,right?

Sorry for such a naive simple question,I realize this is a custom wood working forum and not basic construction but I was too embarrassed to ask at the lumber yard, for that matter here also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building a wood gate

Custom woodworking forum?? I better leave.

Either will work. The key to making it last more than a couple years is to prime with Bullseye123 oil based primer(2 coats) on every surface. In fact, lay out the pieces and cut so all that needs done is assembly. Put on the primer and two coats of a good latex exterior enamel.

Then assemble and paint the screw/nail heads.

o

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

o

Pressure treated wood will last longer in an outdoor application like this, even if you plan on painting.

The major water entry point remains end grain.
If you want the gate to last longer saturate all the end grain pieces with Minwax Wood Hardener.

Just dip each end of every board into the hardener and allot it to dry.

If it soaks in almost instantly repeat dipping after the material dries (not very long on a warm day).

The hardener will fill up the passages in the wood that allow water to easily soak in and start expansion and contraction cycles leading to checking.
If you use PT wood at least rot will take a lot longer.

o

Turns out the posts are out of plumb and also need to be replaced. I need to remove old concrete and fill the hole up with new concrete. This project just gets better and better.

I was thinking since I am replacing the posts, I found this company that sells a system where you set the posts in a pvc sleeve and keeps it from rotting and water damage. The other thing I like is if you need to replace the post you just pull out of sleeve. It gets embedded in concrete. Has anyone used anything like this,what do you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here