Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XPost - What would be a good finish for this wood?

Posted by sapphire69 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 12:47

Hi All!

I have finally cleaned the built in closet, formerly known as the bird toilet, but now I don't know what finish to put on it. I know I don't want to stain it but I don't know which finish will really enhance the wood. It looks like it may be three different wood species between the cedar closet, the door and the strip of wood across the top but I know nothing about wood so maybe not. I am also including a shot of the floor to give you an idea what that looks like. The white molding will be stained.

Thanks for your input!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XPost - What would be a good finish for this wood?

There's no simple answer to this question. Or maybe there's lots of different simple answers to this question.

The article linked has a discussion on how to choose.

Here is a link that might be useful: choosing a finish

o

That's exactly where I'm stuck, Bobsmyuncle! I'll take a read through the document you linked and hopefully, I can at least narrow down my options!

o

i wood use all species

maybe add some ash

o

Thanks, Greenthumb! I got a suggestion to use cedar oil, which I didn't even know existed, so I'm going to go with that. I really just wanted to restore the sheen without hiding the grain. I'll post pictures of how it turns out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here