Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marks showing up after wood stain is applied.

Posted by emnot (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 12:30

Hi, Sorry if this is a duplicate, I can't find my message posted anywhere so I'm going to try again. I have a wood door that has marks/stains on it that only became visible once an oil based stain was applied. I don't know what caused them, the wood had never been stained before. If necessary I will strip the wood and refinish, but don't want the marks to show again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marks showing up after wood stain is applied.

Fingerprints, splashes of anything oily (they look like some type of splash mark, even sweat or water on a freshly sanded surface can alter how the satin is then absorbed).

The only way to repair it is usually to re-sand and stain again.
the spots do NOT look like typical grain blotching, but that some liquid splashed on the bare wood.

o

brickeyee ~ I agree, these are from something splashed on it. I appreciate your response, and was afraid that's what I'd hear, but I can do it

o

Sorry.

It is one of the hardest things about finishing wood.

Once the final sanding is done you need to get the surface stained as quickly as you can to protect it from contamination.

When I have had interior woodwork that gets even a few drops of rain or dew I immediately wipe down the whole surface with a damp sponge, then wait for it to dry to a uniform surface again (preferably inside).

o

Thank you again! I plan to work on this when the weather will allow for good ventilation, and I can clean and stain it right away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here