Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bullnose corners. shoe molding vs scribing

Posted by newtomb1 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 12:05

We had new oak floors and white baseboards installed for our remodel. there are gaps between the floor and the baseboards, some areas are 1/8 inch. we had decided to install shoe molding to cover them but our contractor claims that shoe molding can't be installed on bullnose corners. Is that correct? It seems like it would look odd to not have shoe molding around the corners.
Other option would be to scribe the baseboards but the contractor says they may look wavy afterwards. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bullnose corners. shoe molding vs scribing

You could always try stem bending the shoe molding.

It is not large and might be able to bend tight enough depending on the diameter you need.

I am sort of surprised no one makes something for this.

You could always do a multi-piece mitered joints.

Like a pair of 45 degrees, or a smaller angle and more piece if you want it smother (like three 30 degree pieces for a 90 degree corner).

o

Flextrim and the like make flexible moulding including shoe moulding. < maybe look at something along those lines.

o

"Flextrim ..."

no prices show, wonder why?

o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwoblSEe7VE

Works with shoe or quarter round molding.

o

brickeye, they sell thru dealers. There are others out there who sell retail on line I just do not know of them at the moment as I do not work with this type pf product currently and only used them as an example.

o

If you had some tools (router, bits, bandsaw) you could easily make small radiused corner sections with the profile of base shoe.
Casey

o

Laminate then shape the corner pieces

o

If you're turning a 90* corner, and it's basically not safety-critical (like a handrail or something) I would not see the need to laminate it, solid would be fine if you orient the gain properly.
You could fashion one as a pattern, make a mold and cast as many as you needed in resin (think bondo or minwax wood filler)
Casey

o

You said you had white baseboards installed. If they installed bullnose corner base why can't they do the bullnose shoe?
Ed
thespeedofwood.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here