Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mahogany door - Sikkens, Penofin or Helmsman?

Posted by kerrygw (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 12:04

Hi all,

We have a new mahogany exterior door that we need to get a finish on ASAP. (We didn't plan ahead well on this one unfortunately.) Based on opinions heard here and elsewhere, (and on how available products are around here) we've narrowed down our list of finishes to Sikkens Cetol, Penofin or Helmsman. The door will have a screen/storm door in front of it, and it's on a covered porch that is well protected. We're read a bit on the idea of using oil-based paint base instead, but we'd like a thinner, less "brush-stroke" finish than that seems to offer. I'm comfortable with the idea that we will have to touch up the door in a year or 2. Thoughts on our options are very much appreciated - thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mahogany door - Sikkens, Penofin or Helmsman?

I have experience only with the Helmsman varnish, but I'm under the impression that the other two are penetrating finishes rather than surface films. Assuming that's correct, the varnish would probably offer more protection from moisture but be considerably less pleasant to repair when it finally fails. Penetrating finishes probably need more frequent maintenance, but that maintenance is likely to be much easier.

o

Thin down the paint a bit for the first coats. The final coat should blend in as long as you don't go back over an area once it's been brushed. Or you may rather like the routine of semiannual cleaning and re-application of a penetrating oil.

o

I used Sikkens stain on the exterior of my log home. I am under the impression, that it only needs to be sprayed down with a hose and water once a year to keep it looking new. Every 8 years a recoat of stain. I sprayed, the stain on, but you can also roll it. It quite expensive, about $75 a gallon, but worth the money if your not touching it up every year. I used Teak, heres a photo to get any idea.

SW flower pot front door color

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here