Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing mixed mediums: sand, fabric, paint, on wood

Posted by purpleinopp (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 12:03

In a nutshell, I've got 3 planter box for mini gardens that I want to finish so they will last a few years. They are made of treated wood, 1 1/2" thick. They have holes for water to drain, and will house succulent type plants that need very little water and soil that does not have much moisture in it, so will not be soggy but may be rained on occasionally, if very windy.

#1: Acrylic decoration painted on raw wood.

#2: Need suggestion for substance to cause sand to stick to outside of box.

#3: Need suggestion for substance to cause squares of fabric to stick to outside of box, to look like a quilt.

The concept I want to exploit is like when you go to a restaurant and the table has pictures or whatever objects decorating it, encased in - plastic?

I would like to seal/waterproof all 3 boxes after above-described decorations are complete. Polyurethane? Can I use multiple coats to make it feel smooth?

I'm completely stuck, have not done much with wood before.

Thanks for reading and any advice/opinions/suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing mixed mediums: sand, fabric, paint, on wood

Anything you apply for sealing is going to mute the surfaces of the "mixed mediums" buried under the sealer.

o

Hi, thanks for your reply! I thought polyurethane was clear. I want it to be smooth, like plastic. Not sure by "mute the surfaces" if you're referring to the colors of the decorations or the texture. If the latter, that's a good thing, in line with my goal to use this as a planter box.

I did find a blog where a lady did the same thing to an old wood table. Use elmer's glue to adhere fabric, 4 coats of poly. It was very pretty & she said it's easy to wipe clean.

o

Well I have completed 2 "quilted" boxes and the results are great! Muted perfectly describes the effect on the fabric colors, which happened uniformly, and looks fine. I used Elmer's glue to attach the fabric, let dry for a couple days. Then a foam brush to apply polyurethane to the point of saturation, to fabric and all other wood, inside/out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here