Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Bobsmyuncle -another ? bar finish - please......

magothyrivergirl
16 years ago

Remember me? I have the red oak bar I am finishing with the Waterlox & you so kindly gave me step by step instructions........I have another question. (I have done a search and tried to google for the answer- too many opinions - sorry to bother you again).

I need to fill the small nail holes in both the Bar rail & the fluted Trim. What do I use & when. I have followed your instructions to the letter with fantastic results, including the Red Badger Brush. The scariest part is the next sanding!!! I do not want to screw this project up now :)

I am at Step 4:"* Coat 4: Lightly sand with P400 sandpaper. All you want to do is remove the defects like dust nibs and create a toothy surface. Wipe off dust with a mineral spirits dampened clean rag. Thin varnish 10% or so with mineral spirits. Pull out your best brush. Carefully brush on a light coat. When you finish a section, "tip off." Leave the area while the varnish dries. "

An update on the color match of the odd fluted trim pcs- I read as much as I could and decided to mix a little Zar Light Cherry Stain in a small amt of the Waterlox until I got the pieces to blend with the rest of the body of the bar, which was a furniture grade red oak finishing with only the Waterlox. I cannot tell which pcs have the stain added & which are straight Waterlox. I Am Proud!! So far, I think you would grade this project an A-.

It is taking a long time - rainy, cold weather - so this wkend I set up the dehumidifer & it is helping alot.

Sorry to be so long.........I just wanted to also let you know what a good student I have been, and your efforts to educate me and help me have paid off - for me anyway - I cannot Thank You enough!!!

Comments (2)