Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
polyurethane around window frames

Posted by hpny2 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 11:11

All the windows and wood trim in my house are stained and polyurethaned. Every couple of years, I see areas around the window where the poly finish is flaking and peeling. I usually sand, wipe it down then apply a fresh coat of poly. But then, a couple of years later it starts to flake again. I am thinking that I am not doing enough prep to make the poly adhere well. This time I thought I would clean with crud cutter, sand, then wipe down with something - but what? Denatured alcohol? Mineral spirits? I am not sure of the best way to do it so it adheres better. I don't think its a moisture problem, there is no mold or dampness. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: polyurethane around window frames

Quit using poly, it is a terrible choice for trim that gets any sun.

Use a oil based varnish(non poly) instead.

Simply sand all the old flaky stuff off and follow the varnish manufacturers directions. Probably means about three coats.

You can get foam brushes at a dollar type store that are about a quarter or less each or throwaway bristle brushes for a buck and a half.

o

Wow, so I've been using the wrong stuff all this time! Any particular brand of varnish you recommend?

o

Just buy it at a real paint store---Sherwin Williams/etc.

Reason? You get the fresher stock . Many finishes have a shelf life and do not work as designed past that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here