Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to finish cedar planter box with?

Posted by rob_r (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 11:01

About done with a cedar planter box, but don't know what to finish it with. It's mostly whitewood. I don't think I really want to stain it, but would like to protect it from graying and accentuate the wood grain. At the same time, don't want to use anything that will harm the plants inside. Plan to line it with plastic sheeting and fill directly with soil after it is protected.

I've read about CWF, but have never used it. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to finish cedar planter box with?

If these are for outside use they likely will not last very long.

The white portion of cedar is sapwood, and not very rot resistant.

The red heartwood can be rot resistant, but it also depends on the exact type of cedar.

Just about every finish is safe once it hardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here