Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining Hemlock French Doors

Posted by pameliacc (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 11:01

We are opening a wall and installing new French doors. The doors are in our garage and will be installed on Saturday. We don't have a lot of experience staining so we have a lot of questions.
Should we stain before or after we install the door?
What stain method would you recommend (brush on or wipe on)?
Should I pre condition the wood first?
What product is better to seal with (polyurethane, oil varnish, varathane diamond)?
Does hemlock stain easily or do we need to take caution?
My garage is cold, does temperature matter when staining like when painting?
Sorry about all the questions but this is a huge project for us. We have waited five years to install a door and we really want it to look good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining Hemlock French Doors

Most softwoods are prone to blotching.

I'd recommend a good gel stain. If you decide to use a pre-conditioner, ignore the directions. They work best if let dry overnight.

Yes, temperature matters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staining softwoods

o

Thank you for your help. I did read the article on staining soft wood, very interesting. I will buy some gel stain. I guess I will wait until the door is installed to stain since our garage is too cold.

o

To answer your question, most finishes have a critical temperature below which they will not cure, or they will cure, but not to their full strength.

The easiest finish to do is a wipe-on varnish. See link.

Choosing a finish

Here is a link that might be useful: Finishing for First Timers

o

I would recommend hanging then then poping the hinge pins and stain them in the house over plastic drop clothes, after the poly top coat(or whatever you use)rehang them, thus reducing the handling as a whole unit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here