Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone with experience in refinishing Boos butcher block?

Posted by springplanter (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 10:52

I've just become the owner of a 24" Boos butcher block with some use. It is in excellent shape but does need a bit of renewing. On the Boos website it just speaks to sanding and oiling. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone with experience in refinishing Boos butcher block?

Scraping would be more practical, as sandpaper will clog up with the oil. But scraping is an acquired skill, and you need to purchase a cabinet scraper and learn how to sharpen it.
Casey

o
RE: anyone with experience in refinishing Boos butcher block?

I just did mine with a low angle smoothing plane (there's a fair amount of curly maple in mine, and I wanted to avoid tearout). It was fast (took less than 20 min for the whole process on a 42" square top), no dust, and came out great. If you have many cut marks, dings, and such you want to get out a cabinet scraper will take forever and your thumbs will get sore ;-) ). Refinished with a couple coats of 100% tung oil (not a tung oil varnish, or anything they sell at the hardware store as "tung oil" or "tung oil finish") this time, have used walnut oil in the past. You want a polymerizing oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here