Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Need assistance with a different urethane!

Posted by chellamaral (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:10

Our banquette seating and open shelving was built to match our existing cherry cabinets. Ive had to custom mix various stain colors as the birch doesn't take as red as the cherry. I finally tweeked and very happy with result....

Now come the first coat of Varathane Spar Urethane oil based clear satin...OMG! Very streaky and too shiny! I'm ruining my work! I've used a wipe on poly that was better than this! I'm stopping until I can get some recommendations for a different product. My dad highly recommended Zip Guard, but it wasn't readily available. I now have to sand this mess off, I see lots of bumps from dust/lint too...so disappointed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Need assistance with a different urethane!

If it's streaky and shiny ... you didn't stir it enough. The part that gives the matte finish settles to the bottom.

Stir it until it's evenly milky, and stir frequently as you apply it.

o

"Stir it until it's evenly milky, and stir frequently as you apply it. "

But do not shake it or make bubbles while stirring.

o

Remember to use an expensive brush, you may need to apply a couple coats to get a good coverage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here