Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing Zebra Wood Veneer (Maybe Laquered?) Dining Table -

Posted by kiko (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 10:09

We have a zebrawood (or is it zebra wood??) veneer dining table that needs to be refinished. My husband wants to try doing it himself. Does anyone know how we would do this or have any ideas on where to start? The slab top sits on chrome legs and it has two leaves that can be added to the ends (chrome supports pull out from the table for support). It was made in Italy but we don't know the brand. However, the past 7 years and our kids haven't been kind to it. I think it is laquered? At least, it had a super shiny/glossy finish when we bought it. It probably wasn't the best choice for our family but it was so beautiful when we bought it! The finish now is cloudy, has lots of scratches, pits from young son stabbing table with fork and a large splotch of super-glue from a Pinewood Derby building accident.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing Zebra Wood Veneer (Maybe Laquered?) Dining Table

If the finish is what I think it is, you won't be able to refinish it yourself. It looks like a polyester or epoxy resin finish, which is very thick, and typically not responsive to strippers. So you can't remove it chemically. Since the piece is veneer, you can't remove it by sanding, either. You can neither scrape or peel it off. But perhaps a professional touch-up mechanic can buff out the bad spots; after all, the finish is at least 1mm thick, and there is plenty of room to buff out the scratches with successive abrasive grits. Chips can as well be filled in before this re-surfacing takes place, if the finish type can be positively ID'd, which is also where professional expertise comes in handy.
Casey

o

Oh, wow, that doesn't sound like a DIY project. My dh is very handy but isn't a woodworker (although he built us a fabulous gate with a cast iron insert once). The table finish is very different looking/feeling then any furniture we've ever had or even seen. I think that's why we liked it so much and decided to buy the table. How do we determine if it is a polyester or epoxy finish versus laquer, shellac or polyurethane? Thanks for the reply and help.

o

Only the expert, in person, could determine the type of finish. The pro touch-up mechanics can work wonders.
You could perhaps find who manufactured it, and ask a nearby dealer for advice and assistance.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here