Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island on wheels - xpost from Kitchens

Posted by lenitsa (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 9:52

Posting here as well...Has anyone done an island on wheels? What has been your main storage in that island. I have a 2'X4' island that will be used for prep and a pantry storage with granite top. Will it be too heavy to put it on wheels? How many wheels would I need and does anyone have a good source for some heavy duty casters? Also, I have maple hardwood floors. Suggestions or thoughts please. Thanks much in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island on wheels - xpost from Kitchens

You can get casters up to about any capacity you want. Here are some that go up to 770 lb. rating (each) Grizzly and page following or Rockler. A search for "Casters" will find lots of suppliers.

There are also creative ways to raise and lower the wheels, but they may not work in this high weight application (you would need to be able to lift the whole unit with your foot, for example)

I would suggest four casters, locking so it's not moving around as you work on it. I find two fixed and two swivel (like a grocery cart) the easiest to steer. The type will depend upon your weight requirements, kitchen layout, and flooring material. For maple floors, I think you want a soft urethane or rubber tire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here