Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjocean

Help, our painter ruined our woodwork.

mjocean
10 years ago

Hi,

We just installed a new kitchen with natural cherry cabinets. We wanted matching stain on the woodwork and our painter used a walnut stain.

Please suggest what can be done to fix this.

Thanks,
MJ

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

replace the woodwork, you will never get it off or out enough.

• User
    10 years ago

Yup, replace---but this time get samples of stains so you can pick the color match.

And do not be surprised if in several years the trim no longer matches---because the cherry will darken naturally.

That may be why the painter used the stain he did---to match the color the cabinets will be in 5 years.

• sloyder
    10 years ago

replace the woodwork with cherry trim, and baseboards

• mjocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Handymac, mill workman & sloyd
    Thank you for your responses. We are considering replacing the woodwork
    MJ

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"replace the woodwork with cherry trim, and baseboards"

THAT will be VERY expensive.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Poplar will actually stain very much to look like cherry.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"Poplar will actually stain very much to look like cherry."
    Only in color.
    Not in figure (grain).

• User
    10 years ago

No stained wood---regardless of color match initially, will change to the same color as natural cherry as the cherry ages and darkens.

• mjocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

brickeyee, millworkman & handymac,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I called the cabinet company who made our cabinets to decribe the problem and ask their opinion. They asked me to bring in one of the boards he stained to see if there is a "quick fix". If not, he suggested replacing all the woodwork and sanding and restaining the doors. He said he could stain the pine woodwork in their shop to match the cabinets pretty well.

What do you think about painting all the wood work and doors to exactly match the color of the walls which are beige?
    MJ

• sloyder
    10 years ago

Pine is the worse, no way will it even look like Cherry when stained. If you can't afford Cherry wood, Birch will stain and look close.

I am changing out the trim in my house from Fir to Maple, and the moulding guy tried to tell me poplar looks like Maple, and I told him not when you want the natural color unstained.

I would check Baird Bros, as they have lots of trim in various species.

Here is a link that might be useful: baird brothers

This post was edited by sloyd on Thu, May 2, 13 at 22:53

• mjocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi sloyd,

Thanks, we are investigating all options. One problem with using cherry trim is the sliding doors and window will not be cherry and matching will be tricky.
    MJ