Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing peeling/old paint from Bead Board ceiling????

Posted by stoney_pointe (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 9, 06 at 8:36

Have 60 yr old home with paint peeling or areas that have been scrapped and repainted on a bead board ceiling.

Looking to keep the wood but need to strip it clean. Chemicals would be a big mess, looks like sandblasting is the only option. (don't want to remove and mill down then reattach).

So can someone help as to what to look for, share experience, what type of blasting material:walnut shell?, etc..

Thanks for the help

Ric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing peeling/old paint from Bead Board ceiling????

Sandblasting is a much bigger mess, from what I hear: the dust goes all over the house. Also, you may have lead paint in your older house, which sandblasting and/or stripping will loose as well. I'd remove the boards and work on them outside. Good luck. You might try posting this on the FineHomeBuilding Forum. I think the URL is www.taughton.com/FHB/forums.
Norm

o
RE: Removing peeling/old paint from Bead Board ceiling????

Unless there is something very special about the beadboard, it will probably be cheaper to remove t and replace it. Even if you have to have the material run at a lumberyard.
Sandblasting inside a house is a disaster. There is no real way to effectively contain the dust.
The cost of stripper over a large area makes replacement start to look good.
And I love old houses. I have made hundreds of feet (probably thousands by now) of molding to match stuff up to 200 years old. Some was rotted, some was damaged, a lot had lead paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here