Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
manufactured front door finish needs help

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 1:39

We installed double front doors we bought from the builder supply 5 years ago. They face east, are recessed, and some areas get early morning sun every day for 3 or 4 hours. The varnish or laquer finish is looking dry and the stain is fading here and there. They have leaded glass sections on the upper half and are constructed of several different planks of stained wood. Some have faded more than others.

I would like to improve their appearance and protect them, but I do not want to have to refinish them.

What can I rub into the surface to protect the wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: manufactured front door finish needs help

PF70 sunblock.

I'm not serious, of course. There is no wipe/spray/brush on magic finish restorer. Short of paint, there are no exterior finishes that last more than a couple years without renewing. Stains/dyes on/in wood also do not survive the sun well.

Only way I know to restore the look is to contact the manufacturer, get the stain/dye recipe(most probably a mix of at least three stains) and the finish variety, strip the finish, restain/dye the wood and apply new finish.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear, it is just the only sure way to get the wood back to better looking.

You could try things like gel stain(modified paint), but that would just do the same thing. And it would be extremely difficult to get a gel stain recipe to match the color now.

Long term, paint is the finish that lasts the longest and requires the least maintenance.

o
RE: manufactured front door finish needs help

I second the suggestion -- clear finishes do not do well with constant sun and/or water exposure. At least if you are not willing to do regular (annual) maintenance.

Get some good paint and be done with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here