Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I do my own trimwork?

Posted by dominogold (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 0:55

I have a 10" Ryobi Miter Saw, is that all I need to do the trimwork for my basement?

Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I do my own trimwork?

That is a start, as long as you don't need wide trim. Coping the inside corners is my choice instead of trying to cut miters. Nailing can be done with regular nails---like it was for years before air nailers.

Get a book on finish carpentry or trim carpentry at a home improvement store---it will have more tips and tool suggestioons and explanations.

o

I do have a air brad nailer also.

Is it easier to paint the trim first then put it up or the other way.

o

I prefer a 16 gauge finish nailer as an 18 gauge brad nailer does not have the needed length or as much holding power.

I try to finish all the trim I install, filling and touching up all the nail holes is much easier than painting/finishing installed trim.

o

Thanks I was just going to ask if I should paint it first... sounds like that's the best way to go...

o

I use 18ga nailer with at least 2'nails and just because the holes are smaller in the trim. On base trim I locate one of the studs, usually along the side of a receptical box is easiest,and lay my tape measure out from there along the base and nail on 16" centers. This way you usually catch a stud with each nail. I agree, finish trim prior to install. Good luck.

o

Thanks I hung all the doors this weekend, that "feels" like it was the hardest part. They are only bradded up so far.

So you don't think 2" brads alone plus caulk along the top is enough to hold the trim in place or would I need more mails?

Thanks

o

To do the trim work you need to find really good advices about how to use the tools for the trim work. 2" brads alone plus caulk along the top is enough to hold the trim in place, in case you want to avoid any problems, you can add more nails, but don't think it will be necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Real General Contracting Renovation Company

o

I prefer to pre-finish trim. That way you're working at a comfortable height rather than crawling around on your knees and picking up the inevitable dust from the floor with your paint brush. To me, the end result is better.

Brads aren't really sufficient to hang a door. Hand nail some bigger finish nails or use some trim head screws. Remove one screw from each hinge and drive a longer screw into the framing to help support the door. Make sure you have shims behind the hinges when you drive the screw, the force can pull the jamb out of plumb/square.

Brads are quite sufficient for trim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here