Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominogold_gw

Can I do my own trimwork?

dominogold
17 years ago

I have a 10" Ryobi Miter Saw, is that all I need to do the trimwork for my basement?

Any tips?

Comments (8)

• handymac
    17 years ago

That is a start, as long as you don't need wide trim. Coping the inside corners is my choice instead of trying to cut miters. Nailing can be done with regular nails---like it was for years before air nailers.

Get a book on finish carpentry or trim carpentry at a home improvement store---it will have more tips and tool suggestioons and explanations.

• dominogold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do have a air brad nailer also.

Is it easier to paint the trim first then put it up or the other way.

• handymac
    17 years ago

I prefer a 16 gauge finish nailer as an 18 gauge brad nailer does not have the needed length or as much holding power.

I try to finish all the trim I install, filling and touching up all the nail holes is much easier than painting/finishing installed trim.

• dominogold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks I was just going to ask if I should paint it first... sounds like that's the best way to go...

• jrice
    17 years ago

I use 18ga nailer with at least 2'nails and just because the holes are smaller in the trim. On base trim I locate one of the studs, usually along the side of a receptical box is easiest,and lay my tape measure out from there along the base and nail on 16" centers. This way you usually catch a stud with each nail. I agree, finish trim prior to install. Good luck.

• dominogold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks I hung all the doors this weekend, that "feels" like it was the hardest part. They are only bradded up so far.

So you don't think 2" brads alone plus caulk along the top is enough to hold the trim in place or would I need more mails?

Thanks

• rgc_renovation
    13 years ago

To do the trim work you need to find really good advices about how to use the tools for the trim work. 2" brads alone plus caulk along the top is enough to hold the trim in place, in case you want to avoid any problems, you can add more nails, but don't think it will be necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Real General Contracting Renovation Company

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I prefer to pre-finish trim. That way you're working at a comfortable height rather than crawling around on your knees and picking up the inevitable dust from the floor with your paint brush. To me, the end result is better.

Brads aren't really sufficient to hang a door. Hand nail some bigger finish nails or use some trim head screws. Remove one screw from each hinge and drive a longer screw into the framing to help support the door. Make sure you have shims behind the hinges when you drive the screw, the force can pull the jamb out of plumb/square.

Brads are quite sufficient for trim.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator