Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Wood Privacy Fencing

jane__ny
11 years ago

I don't think this is the right place to ask, but not sure how to find information.

My husband and I recently moved to Florida from NY. Houses are fairly close together and we would like to put up a wood fence. We are allowed to go up 6ft but are not allowed a stockade fence. The fence contractors have suggested 'shadowbox style' either vertical or horizontal (although they charge more for vertical).

We do not know anyone to ask for advice regarding fencing. We called every fence place listed in the yellow pages. We have been given so many different prices and styles. Most want to use pressure-treated. A few say cypress is better (more expensive). We were told 'shadowbox style' is good for privacy. We have been told we should not paint or stain the wood. We have been given different size posts and panels. Different size gates. One contractor said the fences last about 7 years, another said 15 yrs. I don't know what to believe.

Totally confused and afraid we might get ripped off. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for advice, but don't know where to get truthful information. If anyone can suggest another site or offer some information on these fences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jane

Comments (2)

• User
    11 years ago

The question has more in common with the materials used in the Porches and Decks forum than actual woodworking.

Essentially, you need to determine a few things for yourself before you post there.

1. How long you want the fence to last. (Is that expecation realistic for how much you are willing to pay.)

2. If you want something other than a weathered gray look. (How much yearly maintenance in staining etc do you want to do?)

3. The wind conditions that are prevalent in your location. (Some fencing styles aren't compatible with high wind conditions found in coastal areas.)

4. The soil conditions that your locale deals with. (That will determine how deep one must dig for the post supports, and how they must be handled to keep on providing the proper support.)

5. Which materials are available locally as common vs. uncommon. How do you feel about PVC vs. wood, etc. (Cypress is a nice locally produced material that has longevity but will need cleaning and staining if you don't want it to turn grey. Good quality PVC is usually the most expensive, but has the least maintenance long term.)

All of that will have a bearing on how your fence is constructed and of what materials. Of course, cost factors into it as well. The best longest wearing materials tend to cost the most up front, but need the least replacement down the road.

• User
    11 years ago

For the price of wood, stain, treatment yearly, you can use composite decking material in a shadow box pattern or even PVC material.

PVC will be very expensive, however(comes in any color you want---as long as you want white)---but needs only periodic washing.

As far as real wood, cedar/cypress/teak needs no extra treatment. They are naturally insect/weather resistant, but both will turn gray within a couple years without expensive treatments---which will eventually fail to keep the original color anyway.

Pressure treated grays or browns as well. And badly treated treated(at the factory) PT wood will deteriorate.

What Hollysprings said about the wind is especially important in coastal areas---fences can wreck havoc in a strong wind.