Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you build this playhouse?

Posted by dragonesse (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 0:12

My husband and I saw this playhouse at a zoo in Holland and would love to build one just like it in our back yard.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4553013481_36935fd74c_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/4553016069_cca5749b34_o.jpg

But where do we get wood? We're in the Boston area, if that's useful.

A carpenter quoted about $2K for this job. My husband is pretty handy and has built quite a few things before but never something this 'hand-made' looking.

Many thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you build this playhouse?

You get wood at a lumber yard. Skills to build it unfortunately don't come from the lumber yard.

o

This is a mixture of branches / small trees with the bark stripped off (from the woods) and low-grade roughsawn lumber (from a sawmill). The materials are cheap, but finding a source for them inside the city may be impossible. I don't know the Boston area well at all, but I'd do the research to find a small sawmill or two within a couple hours' drive and then plan a day's venture into the countryside. Bring a picnic lunch.

o

Jon, thank you so much, that's super helpful!

o

If you can't find trees, landscape timbers might work. They have two flat sides (helpful for nailing and making the ladder) and are treated to resist rot.

You might also contact "WoodMizer" to see if they have a local customer in your area who could saw a log of choice for you. This would work for the roof. But be sure to choose a species that will weather well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here