Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about finish on Oak Teacher's Desk

Posted by fogbelt_steve (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 0:11

I purchased a nice old oak Teacher's Desk today that is in really good shape, except for some worn, bare wood areas on the top near the front edge where a person would sit and work. Because it's in such good shape, I don't want to completely refinish it, I only want to touch up the worn area so that it blends with the old finish.

Can anyone tell me what product to use that would best match the existing finish (and is it 'varnish')? I was thinking about just using a furniture oil. I have a photo (from the Craig's List ad not the best quality) that I've linked below. Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teacher's Desk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about finish on Oak Teacher's Desk

The finish is probably an oil based varnish. To properly refinish the top, you need to sand it smooth(not necessarily sanding off the old finish) and apply three coats of varnish according to the instructions on the can.

You may elect to do a 'repair', but as a rule, short cuts last a short time or create more problems later.

o
RE: Question about finish on Oak Teacher's Desk

I sanded the top where there were some rings from cups and the bare wood and then used amber shellac for a new finish, then paste wax on top of that. I didn't remove all of the old finish but am happy with the way the shellac blended with the original finish. Someday I may completely refinish the desk but I just don't have the time right now - I can use it now the way it is. You can see the great shape it's in (see linked photo). Thanks for your suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Refinished Top (desk)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here