Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between wood conditioner and sanding sealer?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 23:52

I want to stain some small trim blocks and pieces. Most are pine but some basswood.

(The craft store sells small pieces with an ogee edge which are made to be small plaques, but I plan to use these for little risers to set off antique china, and stain them to match the color of the oak china cabinet.)

I know from experience that basswood is very hard to get smooth enough to varnish. It gets actually kind of fuzzy after sanding, even when using very fine paper.

And pine of course stains unevenly.

So which do I need and what is the difference between them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between wood conditioner and sanding sealer?

Pre-conditioner is a weak solution of finish(shellac is my preferrence) that soaks into the softer areas of the grain of a wood. This prevents stain from concentrating in those areas---which is why pine/cherry blotch. I have tried several off the shelf preconditioners and did not like any of them. One really darkened the wood I was using. The kind I have found works well is a one pound cut of blond(white) shellac. That is made two ways. One pound of dewaxed shellac flakes is disssolved in one gallon of denatured alcohol. Normal shellac concentration for finifhing is three pounds of flakes in one gallon.

Or, for most DIYers, use the quart can off the shelf(shellac shelf life varies by manufacturer from 18 to 36 months) and mix a bit more than 2 parts alcohol to one part shellac.

Sanding sealer is simply that---a product to create a smooth surface after sanding. Using a sealer may be less work than applting several coats of finish , sanding after each coat, until the desired surface is reached.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here