Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have I created a massive problem behind my wall?

Posted by ecdiskin (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 22:59

Not sure who to ask since I don't trust contractor--figure woodworkers may be able to help me. Doing a bath remodel and planning wall hung sink. Asked contractor to add structural support in wall and all my research says 2/x4 should be used. But there were plumbing pipes in way and only room for 1 inch. Contractor said he'd use a thinner board and beef it up in back where there was space...but didnt. Just a 3/4" poplar board from joist to joist. I felt certain that wasn't going to be enough so I cut into wall below that board and saw there was a lot of space behind wood but no way to add anything horizontally. I figured I'd just fill the space between back of board and drywall (of back wall) to give it massive support. Was able to jam 3 small 2x4 pieces, sandwiched together behind board that I woodglued into place. It was rock solid. I closed up wall and inserted lag bolt. All good. But then the fear--what about wood expansion? Have I just done something that is a terrible idea? I'm planning to tile wall in bathroom so I don't want it to crack, etc. Fixing at this point would be a major surgery b/c of all that I've jammed up there, but I'm on verge of tiling, so I thought I better get some advice before it's too late. Hope someone can tell me that it's okay!!

Thanks--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have I created a massive problem behind my wall?

The only problem I see is that you don't trust the contractor to the point that you're reworking his job on the fly. If he is a licensed, bonded, insured contractor, the liability is now on you rather than on him. You are also voiding any warranty that he offers. In other words you are paying for something you will not get.

o

Thanks Aidan--I agree with you and I'll remember this for the future. I certainly don't plan to hire them again--

o

I don't think expansion is going to be a problem. New framing lumber is usually very wet, and shrinkage is significant as the wood dries out. Even kiln dried framing lumber is not as dry as the old existing studs.

o

I would be concerned about the weight of the sink, as it is about 30lbs of weight, and they are attached with hanger bolts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here