Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecdiskin_gw

Have I created a massive problem behind my wall?

ecdiskin
10 years ago

Not sure who to ask since I don't trust contractor--figure woodworkers may be able to help me. Doing a bath remodel and planning wall hung sink. Asked contractor to add structural support in wall and all my research says 2/x4 should be used. But there were plumbing pipes in way and only room for 1 inch. Contractor said he'd use a thinner board and beef it up in back where there was space...but didnt. Just a 3/4" poplar board from joist to joist. I felt certain that wasn't going to be enough so I cut into wall below that board and saw there was a lot of space behind wood but no way to add anything horizontally. I figured I'd just fill the space between back of board and drywall (of back wall) to give it massive support. Was able to jam 3 small 2x4 pieces, sandwiched together behind board that I woodglued into place. It was rock solid. I closed up wall and inserted lag bolt. All good. But then the fear--what about wood expansion? Have I just done something that is a terrible idea? I'm planning to tile wall in bathroom so I don't want it to crack, etc. Fixing at this point would be a major surgery b/c of all that I've jammed up there, but I'm on verge of tiling, so I thought I better get some advice before it's too late. Hope someone can tell me that it's okay!!

Thanks--

Comments (4)

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

The only problem I see is that you don't trust the contractor to the point that you're reworking his job on the fly. If he is a licensed, bonded, insured contractor, the liability is now on you rather than on him. You are also voiding any warranty that he offers. In other words you are paying for something you will not get.

• ecdiskin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Aidan--I agree with you and I'll remember this for the future. I certainly don't plan to hire them again--

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

I don't think expansion is going to be a problem. New framing lumber is usually very wet, and shrinkage is significant as the wood dries out. Even kiln dried framing lumber is not as dry as the old existing studs.

• sloyder
    10 years ago

I would be concerned about the weight of the sink, as it is about 30lbs of weight, and they are attached with hanger bolts.