Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making two 30' cabinets fit into 59' space

Posted by maclaynsaunt (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 22:51

OK, I need help! I bought cabinets for my laundry room. One set is already up and looks great. Now I am trying to put up two other cabinets on the opposite side of the room. They each are 30" but the space is only 59". I knew this when I bought them, but so hoped I could figure out a way to make them work. The sides will not show as there are walls on both sides. Is it possible to take out the drywall where the sides of the cabinet will be? ANY OTHER IDEAS? I thought about cutting some off the overhang of the facer boards but there is only a little over 1/8" hanging over. Plus, I don't have a table saw. Your ideas are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making two 30' cabinets fit into 59' space

Stack one on top of the other? There isn't going to be a cheap and quick solution for putting them next to each other. Removing drywall is a bad idea for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that the doors probably wouldn't have enough room to operate properly.

Exchange one of them for a 27" cabinet if you can. Failing that, it might be feasible to have a handyman cut one of them down, depending on the style of doors they have.

o
RE: making two 30' cabinets fit into 59' space

Easier to amend the cabinets, not the walls! What are they made of?

Check whether the whole space is square and if the problem is for the whole height of the cabinet. If it is, perhaps you can remove one whole side of one cabinet, perhaps one of the centre ones? (door-function dependent, obviously)

But personally, I'd change up the plan: maybe hang one cabinet, and put shelves in the remaining space. You can perhaps even hang the cabinet doors on the shelves.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here